Tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll match you to the most relevant Hospital Let us do the hard work and save you hours of searching online, across countless different websites. And don’t forget, our service is completely FREE with no upfront fees applied – you pay the hospital directly AND you pay the same as if you went directly to them. By submitting your unique requirements to us, you’re guaranteeing the best value, priority admission to all our partner Hospitals and through our direct connections, we can get your questions answered as quickly as possible.
Also known as Gender Reassignment or Sex Change Surgery, involves the surgical procedures required to change a person’s sexual characteristics from one gender to the other. The term Transgender can be used to refer to such a person. The procedure can be used to transition a person from Male to Female and from Female to Male. M to F procedure involves reshaping of male genitals to appear and function as female genitalia (including a vaginoplasty), hair removal therapy, hormone replacement, facial feminisation surgery and Breast Augmentation.
Hormone treatment is started one year prior to surgery and continues after, where oestrogen helps to reshape the body’s contours and stimulates the growth of labia majora. At least one therapist will be required to assess a patient’s psychological wellbeing before the go-ahead can be given.
MyMediTravel offers 15 Medical Centers in Costa Rica, some of which offer Sex Reassignment Surgery (Male to Female) procedures - see below for the complete list, along with prices. Note, average cost can vary depending on the degree of functionality and which procedures a patient wants included. Please submit a Free Quote and one of our agents will get to work on your bespoke request focused in Costa Rica right away.
Prerequisites to Surgery
1. Patients must be at least 20 years old or have consent from parents / legal guardians for those between 18 and 20.
2. At least 12 months of successful and continuous real-life experience living as a woman.
3. At least 12 months of continuous hormonal therapy.
4. Must consult with a psychiatrist in home country and in the country where the procedure will be performed (this can be arranged in chosen hospital).
5. Physically fit for surgery.
Popular MTF Sex Reassignment Surgery (SRS) Techniques
1. SRS with Penile Skin Inversion
2. SRS with Scrotal Skin Graft
3. SRS with Sigmoid Colon by Laparoscopic Technique
Popular Procedures to Combine with SRS
2. Breast Augmentation to create the breasts, which is usually performed at a later date.
4. Hair Implants, Hair Removal Therapy and Continued Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Additional factors to consider:
1. Due to the nature of the surgery, recovery time can be a long a painful procedure and will require several follow up procedures immediately after the surgery.
2. Success rate is extremely high now with the more recent advances in technology and procedures applied, however, complications can occur due to the complexity of the procedures. As with any surgery conducted under general anesthetic, there is a possible risk of infection, severe pain, bleeding, blood clotting and scarring.
3. Possible side effects could include Fistula (opening between rectum and vagina), decreased sexual sensation and ability to orgasm, partial death of the tissue used to create the new vagina, labia or clitoris, narrowing of the vagina and hair growth in the vagina from the grafted tissue.
4. Due to the psychological and social consequences of bringing a person's body in-line with their gender-identity, statistics show that patient reviews and satisfaction is considered the highest across any surgical procedure. Whilst no one can expect perfection, the outcome is generally extremely well received.
About Costa Rica
Costa Rica is a great place to be adventurous or for those who just want to relax and unwind. With more than 1,000 miles of coastline, the country is home to some of the world's most beautiful beaches (If you are looking for lots of sun, avoid the rainy season, between April and November). It is one of the top surfing destinations in the world, the water is warm year-round.
With its own delicious national cuisine, the country is also a huge grower of coffee, bananas and chocolate. If you visit Quepos, be sure to take a tour at Villa Vanilla farms to see how they make chocolate as well as vanilla, pepper, cinnamon and more. It is known as the happiest country on Earth. A common saying among locals is “pura vida,” which means “pure life.” Everywhere you go in Costa Rica, you will be welcomed with a smile by the locals. About 25% of the Costa Rica is made up of protected national parks and rainforests which hold 5% of the world's biodiversity and the country has very rich and fertile soil which helps make it so lush and full of life. The volcanoes and surrounding areas are also popular areas for hiking, camping and mountain biking.
Costa Rica’s has two JCI-accredited hospitals and numerous smaller, private AAAASF-accredited and AAAHC-accredited clinics offering a wide range of medical services, including orthopedics, cardiology, cosmetic surgery, and bariatrics. Idyllic scenery and unique “recovery lodges” which has made Costa Rica a prime destination for the medical tourists, many of which travel for Sex Reassignment Surgery (Male to Female) procedures.
Our Team is here to support you on every step of the wayHelp me find a clinic
Find top clinics for Sex Reassignment Surgery (Male to Female) in Costa Rica at the lowest price. Compare costs & reviews of 15 clinics, specialized in Sex Reassignment Surgery (Male to Female) procedures in Costa Rica.
Search by Region, Location or Project