Tell us what you’re looking for and we’ll match you to the most relevant Hospital Let us do the hard work and save you hours of searching online, across countless different websites. And don’t forget, our service is completely FREE with no upfront fees applied – you pay the hospital directly AND you pay the same as if you went directly to them. By submitting your unique requirements to us, you’re guaranteeing the best value, priority admission to all our partner Hospitals and through our direct connections, we can get your questions answered as quickly as possible.
Also known as Blepharoplasty. This form of plastic surgery is used to correct defects of the eyelids or for aesthetically modifying the eye region of the face. It involves the removal of excess skin and fat from around the eyes and the reinforcement of the corresponding muscle and tendon tissues and is centered around the area between the eyebrow and the upper portion of the cheek. Double eyelid surgery creates a crease that makes the eyes appear larger and more alert. While Caucasians typically are born with a double eyelid crease, approximately 50% of East-Asians do not have a double eyelid crease. Therefore, double eyelid surgery is a highly specialized procedure performed mainly on persons of East-Asian descent. It is the most common type of plastic surgery performed in South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Double eyelid surgery is a safe and versatile surgery for Asians and other patients with monolids. The surgery makes the eyes appear larger and gives them a more alert appearance. There are different techniques that can be customized to achieve the desired results, tailored for each individual patient. Potential patients should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine which double eyelid surgery technique is the best option to achieve their desired results.
There are a number of factors that go into making a person a good candidate for double eyelid surgery including: people without an eyelid crease who would like one in order to complement their features, patients who do have a crease but would like it to be more symmetrical or defined, patients who do not have ophthalmic conditions such as a detached retina, glaucoma or dry eyes.
MyMediTravel offers 33 Medical Centers in Bangkok, with many offering Double Eyelid Creation procedures - see below for the complete list, along with estimated prices. The price of a Double Eyelid Creation can vary according to each individual’s case and will be determined based on photos and an in-person assessment with the doctor. For a bespoke quote and to discuss further with a member of our patient support team, Click Here to submit your Free Quote.
How is Double Eyelid Surgery Performed?
There are three techniques/types for creating a double eyelid crease:
1. Full Incision – The surgeon makes an incision and cuts out some excess skin so the anatomy is in full view. The doctor then tacks down the fold with sutures. To create the crease, the skin is tacked into the deeper structure which is usually the tarsus (the cartilage on the eyelid) or the levator aponeurosis. The sutures are placed in three to five distinct spots on the eyelid and that creates the fold. Any swelling tends to last from two to six weeks so patients need to take that into account when planning time off work. There might be some tiny scars due to the incisions.
2. Minimal Incision – Very small incisions are made on the eyelid and the sutures are put through those small incisions. Many times, the incisions are so small that it does not require sutures to close the skin. This technique has a faster healing time than a full incision and many patients have a normal appearance and return to work within one week. As with the full incision method, there might be some micro scars due to the incisions.
3. Suture Technique – There are various techniques that have been described for non-incisional upper blepharoplasty. Most of them involved small skin punctures and the use of durable sutures that are passed alternately through the dermis and the conjunctiva throughout the length of the eyelid. The recovery time is short and typically no suture removal is needed. However, this technique is not a good option for all patients and this is especially true for patients with very thick eyelids with a lot of fat or patients with a lot of excess skin. The advantages of this technique are the lack of scarring and the natural appearance of the eyelid crease.
All three techniques are very effective. The suture technique and minimal incisional technique tend to be for younger patients who do not have much excess skin. Older patients who have excess skin drooping over the eyelid, may benefit from the full incision method to remove some of the excess skin.
Other conditions can be corrected in conjunction with the creation of the upper eyelid crease. For example, many Asians have ptosis which means their upper eyelid muscle is weak which gives them a tired appearance. Ptosis is caused by weakness of the levator muscle of the eye or laxity of connective tissues of the eye. Some patients have ptosis surgery to tighten or strengthen the muscle underneath the eyelid to make the eyes look more open. In addition, medial (the closer corner to the nose) epicanthoplasty and lateral (outer corner of the eye) canthoplasty are procedures that can open the corners of the eyes to make them appear larger.
Additional factors to consider:
1. Recovery time and Risks: Both minimal and full incision surgeries take about an hour to complete while the suture technique takes less than an hour. The recovery time is relatively short with all of the techniques. During the first week, sutures that are blue or black on the eyelids might be visible. One week after surgery, these sutures are removed for patients who received the minimal and full incisions. Typically, there is some residual swelling that can be camouflaged by eyeliner.
After the surgery, antibiotic ointment should be applied on the incision to facilitate healing. Patients should sleep with their head elevated the first week after surgery. There will be some swelling, tightness, sensitivity to light and vision changes for the first 5-7 days but all of these conditions will resolve naturally. Wearing dark sunglasses will protect the eyes from the sun and elements.
There are some Limitations and risks to the surgery and they include: A risk of unnatural looking results, prolonged swelling may be higher with more aggressive fold creation, Variability in the distance between the eyebrows and lid junction because the fold takes up a lot of space between the eyelashes and the eyebrow, Damage to the eyeball, Asymmetry.
2. Success rate: Following the surgery, any incisions will more than likely be red and even slightly bumpy. There might be some small scarring from the incisions, which appear pink. They will thin and fade in about six months and can be concealed with makeup.
In most cases, the results from double eyelid surgery are permanent. The results from the suture technique can be long-lasting but some patients may lose their eyelid crease if the suture comes loose or because of aging when the excess skin droops over the surgically-created crease.
3. Patient reviews: The vast majority of patients are extremely happy with not only the results of the procedure but with the entire process leading up to and following the surgery. Increase in self-esteem is often cited having achieved their desired look.
4. For more information about Double Eyelid Surgery with before and after images, watch this short video.
As the political, economic, cultural, culinary, and spiritual capital of Thailand, Bangkok features both old-world charm and modern convenience & property developments with a high quality lifestyle, at times served up in an apparently chaotic manner, but always with a friendly smile. And at the heart of Thailand’s Medical Tourism industry, Bangkok boasts a plethora of hospitals, clinics and dental facilities numbering in the hundreds. With some of the world’s finest hospitals, Bangkok specialises in all forms of medical, cosmetic and dental procedures.
Our Team is here to support you on every step of the wayHelp me find a clinic
Find top clinics for Double Eyelid Creation in Bangkok at the lowest price. Compare costs & reviews of 33 clinics, specialized in Double Eyelid Creation procedures in Bangkok.
Search by Region, Location or Project